Teenager Mullins wins Grand National on Rule The World

first_imgRule The World won the 169th running of the Grand National, the world’s greatest steeplechase, at Aintree on Saturday under an inspired ride from David Mullins, a 19-year-old jockey making his debut in the race.The 33-1 outsider, trained in Ireland by Mouse Morris, son of the late International Olympic Committee president Lord Killanin, came with a perfectly-timed run to win by six lengths from 8-1 joint favourite The Last Samuri.Remarkably, the nine-year-old horse, owned by Michael O’Leary, the chief executive of Europe’s largest budget airline Ryanair, had never won over fences before and had suffered an injury-hampered career.Yet he performed beautifully over the fearsome fences of the four-mile marathon, strongly coming through to storm past The Last Samuri and third-placed Vics Canvas, a 100-1 shot.Mullins, the nephew of all-conquering trainer Willie Mullins and the latest success story in a famous Irish racing dynasty, could hardly believe his success on his National debut.“Rule The World, what an aptly-named horse! It’s unbelievable. I couldn’t expect things to have gone any better,” he told the BBC.“To get the call to ride this horse was amazing. The fact that it is his first win over fences is more amazing than me winning on my first time around.”For Rule the World, it was eighth time lucky after having finished second on seven occasions and connections suggested afterwards that, given his previous injuries, it might be the last race of his career.LIKE DISNEYLANDThe effervescent O’Leary, renowned for his outspoken comments as an airline boss, said he was virtually speechless.His Gigginstown racing operation, which had delivered the Cheltenham Gold Cup winner Don Cossack three weeks earlier, could now celebrate victory in the two biggest and most lucrative races over the fences in Britain.“I think I’m officially going to give up as an an owner now!” O’Leary joked on Channel 4. “David gave him a masterful ride.”He also praised a brilliant training performance by Morris, who was left emotional following a difficult year during which his son Christopher died in a freak accident in Argentina.“It’s like Disneyland. Someone is looking down on me,” Morris, who also saddled Rogue Angel to victory in the Irish Grand National last month, told reporters. “I’ve got great friends who stood by me and helped.“I’d have settled for third at the Elbow but he ran on like a train. He has injured his pelvis in two falls and before that he was one of the best horses I ever had.”The other co-favourite Many Clouds, looking to become the first horse since Red Rum to win the National in successive years, ran out of steam under Leighton Aspell, who was hoping to become the first jockey to win the race three years in a row.The best news of all was that, although only 16 of the 40 starters finished the demanding course, all jockeys and horses returned safely after a difficult week at the Aintree festival which saw the death of four horses in the previous two days.last_img read more

I’m getting there – Fraser-Pryce

first_imgGrand Cayman, Cayman Islands: Olympic sprint champion Shelly-Ann Fraser-Pryce said she is very pleased with the progress that she has been making since her return to active competition this season. Fraser-Pryce, who won the IAAF World Championships sprint double (100m and 200m) in Moscow in 2013, clocked a season’s best 11.33 seconds to finish second at the Cayman Invitational on Saturday. The race was Fraser-Pryce’s second of the season since her return to track after giving birth to her first child last year. “I am feeling really good, and I have to say, I am blessed because to come out here and to run 11.33s, it’s just getting better and better,” Fraser-Pryce said after the race. “I ran 11.52s a couple of weeks ago in Kingston, and today, I was able to run 11.33s, so I am really excited about the progress,” she said. “I am just excited about the transition from where I am now and where I want to be for the season, and I think I am working towards getting there,” Fraser-Pryce said. Saturday’s race was won by American Jenna Prandini in 11.16 seconds, while Jamaica’s Schillonie Calvert-Powell was fifth in 11.52 seconds, and Sherone Simpson, seventh in 11.56. Fraser-Pryce added that had it not been for her poor start, she could have run much faster in the event. “I don’t think I executed well because I think the start was a little tentative,” she said. “I will say it is my second 100m of the season and basically my first competitive 100m, so I am very pleased about the effort, and I have to give God thanks and just continue to train hard and continue to press forward,” she said. “I think that I am not race-sharp and I am still a little way off in terms of where I want to be because of the late start to my training. But I am not complaining because it is an off year. So I am just looking forward to building to 2019 because this is my main focus at this point,” Fraser-Pryce noted.last_img read more

Australia 1-2 Italy: Juventus star hands Azzurre victory in added time

first_img Boxing Day fixtures: All nine Premier League games live on talkSPORT no dice REPLY Man United transfer news live: Haaland ‘wants a change’, two players off in January The triumph didn’t seem on the cards after just 22 minutes when Matildas superstar Samantha Kerr slotted home her own saved penalty after she had been pulled down in the area by Sara Gama.But Italy weren’t ready to roll over against one of the world’s top sides having qualified for their first World Cup in 20 years.Bonansea struck back after 56 minutes, capitalising on a defensive error from Australia ace Clare Polkinghorne, keeping her clam she rounded Alanna Kennedy before slotting home.Either side of the leveller, Italy had two goals ruled out for offside, while the Matildas fought back with Kennedy and Kerr going close. LATEST FOOTBALL STORIES Barbara Bonansea of Italy celebrates with her team-mates after scoring the winner against Australia Son ban confirmed as Tottenham fail with appeal to overturn red card IN DEMAND 2 gameday cracker Australia players applaud their supporters after the match Arsenal transfer news LIVE: Ndidi bid, targets named, Ozil is ‘skiving little git’ whoops Getty Images Bonansea had the final say though, heading home from a free-kick with just 24 seconds left on the clock in the Group C tie. Berahino hits back at b******t Johnson criticism – ‘I was in a dark place at Stoke’ Getty Images Italy stunned Australia in added time to win their opening Women’s World Cup match in Valenciennes.Juventus striker Barbara Bonansea headed home her second goal of the game five minutes after the 90 minutes was up to secure a superb victory. 2 Real Madrid ‘offer’ Isco to Chelsea in bid to ‘make room’ for Tottenham star REAL DEAL shining Did Mahrez just accidentally reveal Fernandinho is leaving Man City this summer? LATEST Man United joined by three other clubs in race for Erling Haaland Green reveals how he confronted Sarri after Chelsea’s 6-0 defeat at Man City deals tense Premier League Team of the Season so far, including Liverpool and Leicester stars Australia head coach Ante Milicic said: “We need to quickly regroup and focus on the Brazil game. We created enough chances to win the game but at the crucial times we didn’t capitalise on our possession.“When we played our football we looked decent, but it was only in patches. Unfortunately we were undone by a scenario where our shape wasn’t what it needed to be. We’re very disappointed.”last_img read more

Top travel writer says 2017 could be a huge year for Donegal tourism

first_imgOne of Ireland’s leading travel writers has said all the elements are coming together to make 2017 a bumper year for tourism in Donegal.Travel Editor of the Irish Independent newspaper and independent.ie online, Pól Ó Conghaile, was speaking after a reader’s poll named Donegal as Ireland’s hidden gem in places to visit.The accolade comes just a couple of weeks after National Geographic named our county as the coolest place on the planet to visit in 2017. Mr Ó Conghaile, who has been named Irish Travel Writer of the Year on five occasions, says it is all “coming together” for Donegal.In this specially-commissioned piece for Donegal Daily, Pól outlines the reasons why this looks like being a great year for Donegal tourism.Pól Ó Conghaile“From the judges’ perspective, we felt that Donegal’s time is coming. The next Star Wars movie, and the recent nod by National Geographic Traveller, are just the beginning. Readers know Kerry and Cork, but there’s a real sense that they are ready to take things to the northwest in 2017.’‘Donegal is in a sweet spot. It’s not exactly an unknown quantity, but it still lacks motorway or rail access, which makes it a slightly more intrepid trip for visitors. Lot’s of people say ‘Oh, we’ll do that one day.’ We felt 2017 could be that ‘one day’. “It’s a county where you can still find complete wilderness – and we think there is a real appeal in that as tourism starts to grow and travellers widen their horizons again.’‘It’s not just landscape, of course. I’ve travelled to Donegal many times over the years, and have loved seeing the evolution of a foodie ethic, the way communities like those on Inishowen, in Dunfanaghy or on the Slieve League peninsula have come together to promote their destinations, and of course, the amazing visuals being shared by people like Bren Whelan, Iain Miller and Rónán McLoughin on social media.“It’s all coming together to give Donegal the pixie dust every emerging destination needs… momentum.’If you would like to read what the judges of the Irish Independent Reader Travel Awards 2017 had to say about Donegal, log onto http://independent.ie/travelawards Top travel writer says 2017 could be a huge year for Donegal tourism was last modified: January 16th, 2017 by StephenShare this:Click to share on Facebook (Opens in new window)Click to share on Twitter (Opens in new window)Click to share on LinkedIn (Opens in new window)Click to share on Reddit (Opens in new window)Click to share on Pocket (Opens in new window)Click to share on Telegram (Opens in new window)Click to share on WhatsApp (Opens in new window)Click to share on Skype (Opens in new window)Click to print (Opens in new window) Tags:2017donegalIrish Independenttourismvisitlast_img read more

Sligo GAA Fixtures May 29-30

first_imgExpert Electrical Sligo Football u12 Division 1 LgeTue, 30 May, Venue: Kent Park, (Round 5), St Mary’s V CooleraStrandhill 19:00, Ref: Declan O BoyleTue, 30 May, Venue: Gurteen Community Park, (Round 5), Eastern Harps V Tubbercurry/Cloonacool 19:00, Ref: Eamon WalshTue, 30 May, Venue: Stenson Park, (Round 5), St John’s V Drumcliffe/Rosses Pt 19:00, Ref: Mark ConnellTue, 30 May, Venue: Connolly Park, (Round 5), Owenmore Gaels V Ballymote/Bunninadden 19:00, Ref: Tj KeaveneyTue, 30 May, Venue: Monsignor Hynes Park, (Round 5), St Molaise Gaels V Shamrock Gaels 19:00, Ref: Gavin CawleyExpert Electrical Sligo Hurling u12 LeagueMon, 29 May, Venue: Oxfield Park, (Round 3), Benbulben Gaels V Naomh Eoin 19:00, Ref: Gus ChapmanExpert Electrical Sligo Football u12 Football Division 2 Lge Stage 1 Group 1Mon, 29 May, Venue: Ballinode, (Round 5), Calry/St Joseph’s V Tourlestrane 19:00, Ref: Brian O ConnorTue, 30 May, Venue: Geevagh, (Round 5), Geevagh V Coolaney/Mullinabreena 19:00, Ref: Gus ChapmanTue, 30 May, Venue: St.Michael’s, (Round 5), St Michael’s V Curry 19:00, Ref: Mark ToweyExpert Electrical Sligo Football u12 Football Division 2 Lge Stage 1 Group 2Tue, 30 May, Venue: St.Brendan’s GAA Park, (Round 5), Castleconnor V St Farnan’s 19:00, Ref: Bill CartyTue, 30 May, Venue: Gurteen Community Park, (Round 5), Eastern Harps V St Patrick’s/Dromard 19:00, Ref: Declan HaranTue, 30 May, Venue: Enniscrone/Kilglass, (Round 5), Enniscrone/Kilglass V Easkey 19:00, Ref: Ollie GoldenExpert Electrical Sligo Football u12 Division 3 LeagueTue, 30 May, Venue: Gurteen Community Park, (Round 5), Eastern Harps V Tubbercurry/Cloonacool 19:00, Ref: Malachy MaherTue, 30 May, Venue: Stenson Park, (Round 5), St John’s V Drumcliffe/Rosses Pt 19:00, Ref: Daniel O DowdTue, 30 May, Venue: Monsignor Hynes Park, (Round 5), St Molaise Gaels V Shamrock Gaels 19:00, Ref: Gerard HigginsTue, 30 May, Venue: Kent Park, (Round 5), St Mary’s V CooleraStrandhill 19:00, Ref: Seamus Hoeylast_img read more

Pope mandates reporting of sex abuse claims in Vatican City

first_img(AP) – Pope Francis has issued sweeping new sex abuse legislation for Vatican personnel and Holy See diplomats overseas, requiring the immediate reporting of abuse allegations to Vatican prosecutors, a policy shift aimed at being a model for the Catholic Church worldwide.The mandatory reporting provision of the legislation published Friday marks the first time the Vatican has put into law requirements for Catholic officials to report allegations of sex crimes to civil authorities or face fines and possible jail time.Francis also issued child protection guidelines for Vatican City State and its youth seminary, acting after the global sex abuse scandal exploded anew last year and The Associated Press reported that the headquarters of the Catholic Church had no policy to protect children from predator priests.last_img read more

Beijing playing the bully

first_imgChina sure has a funny notion of what territorial waters are. In the South China Sea, China’s claims stick out like a cow’s tongue licking the shores of the Philippines, Vietnam and Malaysia.It would be the Indian equivalent of claiming Maldives and the Seychelles. The reason for the competing claims is the fact that one third of world shipping travels through this sea, and the area is supposed to be rich in oil and natural gas.A Chinese think tank says that India will face “political and economic risks” if its companies continue exploring for oil in blocks off the coast of Vietnam. Companies like ONGC Videsh which are doing precisely that will only complicate the dispute, the Chinese claim. Big China wants to discuss the dispute bilaterally, while the ASEAN grouping wants to take it up at a multilateral level.New Delhi’s best bet is to make strong efforts to push the ASEAN to work out a common approach towards China. Taking on Beijing bilaterally would be a daunting task, even if two important countries like Vietnam and India worked in tandem.last_img read more

Diego Maradona’s ex-wife denounces him for fraud

first_imgClaudia Villafane, the ex-wife of Argentinean soccer legend Diego Maradona, late Tuesday denounced him for fraud in an Argentinean court, media reported on Wednesday.Villafane, 52, appeared in front of a Buenos Aires court with her daughter Giannina to accuse Maradona of having embezzled almost $6 mn that went missing from his bank accounts, Xinhua news agency reported.Maradona, 54, was not present during proceedings but sent a message via a television program, saying he wanted his money back.”All I want is my money. I did not denounce anybody when I was robbed and I will not do so now. All I want is my money. I will not put forward any names as I have never done that. However, if they do not give me back my money, they will be sorry,” he affirmed.The 1986 World Cup winner also advised Gianinna and Dalma, his two daughters with Villafane, and Jana, his daughter from an extra-marital affair, that they should “remain calm”.The scandal between Maradona and his ex-wife, to whom he was married from 1998 and 2003, broke out when the star revealed almost $6 mn were missing from his accounts. According to Infobae, an investigation last year revealed that Villafane owns three apartments in an exclusive Miami tower worth $2 mn each and has $3 mn stashed in a bank in Uruguay, which had not been declared to authorities.However, Villafane’s lawyer Fernando Burlando called a press conference in which he maintained his client’s innocence.”If there was any tax evasion, the responsibility lies with the one who was paying that tax, which was not Claudia Villafane. The judicial system will give Maradona a major setback,” he stated. advertisementlast_img read more

MSSA: Dhiti Varma leads St Thomas Academy to maiden U-16 title

first_imgMumbai: 64 per cent trees transplanted for Metro construction at Aarey are dead Skipper Dhiti Varma led by example and exhibited her versatility and capabilities in great measure. She was instrumental in shaping the fortunes of St Thomas Academy (Goregaon) as they pulled off a remarkable win against Canossa Convent (Mahim) in the MSSA girls U-16 Div-II final at Cooperage yesterday. The Goregaon schoolgirls snatched a tense 3-2 sudden death win after the match was locked goalless at the end of regulation time and 2-2 after the first set of five penalties each.Related News BMC employee accused of raping, blackmailing colleague arrested Bigg Boss 13 Highlights: Sidharth, Aarti, Rashami, Devoleena and Khesari nominated for eviction “It feels great because this is our maiden title. It’s even more sweet for me as this is my last inter-school match,” said Dhiti, 14, a Class X student. Also Read: MSSA: Matunga’s Don Bosco boys win over Kandivli’s Cambridge In the tie-breaker, Dhiti replaced goalkeeper Dhanshree Vargis and saved four of the six penalties but shot over the goal herself. Ankita Patil, Harsha Talankar and Harshita Panchal scored for St Thomas, while Canossa scored through Bhumika Mane and Aliza Sayyed. Also Read: MSSA: Disha Khaotare, Nashmita Jathanna win against St Joseph’s team Catch up on all the latest sports news and updates here. Also download the new mid-day Android and iOS apps to get latest updateslast_img read more

FURLICH SENTENCED TO SUPERVISED PROBATION

first_imgThe former city clerk of Lawton, Iowa has been sentenced to probation for the charge of attempted sexual assault by use of an electronic communications device.61 year old Douglas Furlich had pleaded no contest to that charge in September, after his June 2nd arrest at Crystal Cove Park in South Sioux City by an undercover officer.Prosecutors said Furlich had posted an online ad saying he was “looking for a younger guy.”An undercover officer responded, pretending to be a 15-year-old boy.Furlich was sentenced to 3 years Intensive Supervised Probation, with conditions including that he will participate in a treatment program.He will also abstain from all use of alcohol and controlled substances and submit to testing at his expense; be placed on electronic monitoring for 180 days; and pay all court costs.Furlich must also register as a sex offender with the state of Nebraska.last_img read more